Yesterday saw the launch of the new iPhone 12 in Apple’s virtual ‘Hi, Speed’ event, a globally-anticipated date that ironed out the rumours surrounding the new iPhone 12. Apple’s CEO Tim Cook called the launch “the beginning of a new era for the iPhone.”
One thing was clear to us: with the launch of the iPhone 12, Apple didn’t set out to reinvent the wheel. Far from some of the radical redesigns we’ve seen with other phones in recent years – think the LG Wing and the Motorola Razr reboot – the name of the launch event gave us a subtle hint as to what the iPhone 12 is all about: speed.
As the first ever iPhone with 5G, the iPhone 12 can reach a new level of performance. But that’s not all. Find out everything you need to know about the iPhone 12 right here.
What’s new with the iPhone 12?
- External redesign: Apple said they re-architectured the iPhone 12 to fit in new technologies. Not only does the iPhone 12 have sleek edges reminiscent of the iPhone 4, it has the biggest display and highest resolution ever seen on an iPhone. Pros include peak brightness that’s nearly twice as high as the iPhone 11 and new antennas in the edge of the frame.
- Four sizes: The iPhone 12 comes in 4 sizes: the iPhone 12 (6.1 inch - the same as the iPhone 11), the iPhone 12 Pro (6.1 inch), the iPhone 12 Pro Max (6.7 inch) and the iPhone 12 mini (5.4 inch). There’s also 5 new colours to choose from.
- Improved camera: A new dual camera system takes the iPhone 12 to a new level. It still has the same ultra wide camera as the iPhone 11 but its point of difference is the new wide camera which is the fastest yet. The integration of a 7 element lense makes taking a photo “better than ever”; think superior quality photos and a night mode that’s the best in the industry.
- Ceramic shield screen: The iPhone 12 is made with a ceramic-hardened display that dramatically improves toughness; according to Apple, it’s tougher than any smartphone screen out there. With a 4x better drop performance than the iPhone 11, a couple of extra drops shouldn’t hurt (phew).
- The first 5G iPhone: As Apple’s first iPhone with 5G capability, the iPhone 12 has set a new industry standard. Harnessing speed through connection without compromising on the quality and speed of the phone or battery life, Apple called this the “best possible 5G experience.”
- Speed: On the topic of speed, the iPhone 12 comes with an A14 Bionic chip - the same chip used in the new iPad Air - which is the fastest ever in an iPhone. Performance and efficiency are improved by a whopping 40% and this makes the iPhone 12 50% faster than any other smartphone.
- MagSafe: Fusing old with new, Apple revived MagSafe charging which was previously used in their MacBook line. For the iPhone 12, this means a set of quick-attach accessories which charge the iPhone twice as fast as previous charging cables.
- iPhone 12 mini: Is it just us, or do iPhones get harder to slip into your back pocket with every release? Fear not, the iPhone 12 mini is a pocket-friendly addition that has the exact same features as the iPhone 12. As the world’s smallest 5G smartphone, it has a 5.4 inch display vs the standard iPhone 12’s 6.1 inch display and while it is lighter in size and price, it doesn’t compromise on quality.